•  
      CommentAuthorScopse
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008

I thought to myself last night, that there really was no need for me to be running a 20% overclock on my CPU now I've moved to Ubuntu, the extra boost in speed was just not noticeable. Especially as I've stopped playing games, and just focus on music, chatting and fiddling about with a website.

So I went into BIOS, and changed everything back to auto, standard voltages. The lot. Oh an not to forget enabling 'AMD Cool'n'Quiet, I'm going with this whole quiet computer thing now because roaring fans and high electrical bills don't do it for me anymore.

Anyway, getting back to the problem, enabled CnQ in the BIOS. Go into Ubuntu, download cpufreq from synaptic. Run it on the taskbar and get this error:

I've been told for it to work I need powernow_K8 to be implemented into the Kernel, I have no idea how to do that. But I think I've found the driver here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

I also found someone with the same problem an somebody posted a reply to how to fix it, but I really don't know how to do it because it's not simplified for a Ubuntu beginner like myself. (here's the topic: http://kerneltrap.org/node/2894)

Any help always greatly received. (l)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpode

I seem to remember reading about this a while back, and "cpufreq" is deprecated, replaced by powernowd. Not only that, I think powernowd comes installed out of the box.

•  
      CommentAuthorScopse

Oh okay, I've got powernowd installed and have this error message when running it from Terminal:

powernowd: PowerNow Daemon v0.97, (c) 2003-2006 John Clemens
    powernowd: Found 1 scalable unit: -- 1 'CPU' per scalable unit
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq: No such file or directory

PowerNowd encountered and error and could not start.
    Please make sure that:
    - You are running a v2.6.7 kernel or later
    - That you have sysfs mounted /sys
    - That you have the core cpufreq and cpufreq-userspace
    modules loaded into your kernel
    - That you have the cpufreq driver for your cpu loaded,
    (for example: powernow-k7), and that it works. Check
    'dmesg' for errors.

Using 'uname -r' my kernel is : 2.6.22-14-generic

As for having the powernow-k8 driver installed I use 'sudo modprobe powernow-k8' and get this error:

desktop:~$ sudo modprobe powernow-k8
    FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8 (/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device

I'm not to sure about the sysfs mount or the cpufreq parts loaded into the kernel.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpode

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq: No such file or directory

If you browse /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0, chances are you won't find the cpufreq folder, which means cpufreq isn't running. So concentrate on getting that working and powernowd should fall into place (hopefully!)

Checking dmesg for errors might help too. For example, "dmesg | grep cpufreq" to check for anylines where cpufreq is mentioned.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpode
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008

Any progress on this?

•  
      CommentAuthorScopse

no it seems the vast majority of people who try to get it to work end up clocking their CPU to its lowest possible frequency without it increasing the clock speed 'on demand', so you'd be left with a really slow system. Think Ill just deal with the Cool'n'Quiet not working.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpode

That's a quitters attitude.

•  
      CommentAuthorScopse
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008

True, but I don't want to end up with a CPU stuck at 800mhz. That's not fun for anyone! :P

Copyright Andrew Miller (Spode), 2008